34 People

Last night at our Administrative Council meeting I presented the challenge to win 34 people to Christ this year. They unanimously approved the goal. But I’m not sure what I ought to think.

If they had said, “You are utterly insane to think we can increase the number of professions of faith by over 1000% this year,” I would have known they understood what I was talking about. But they just quietly said it was a good idea so let’s do it.

We pastors are held accountable for what happens in our congregations. While the main thing we used to be held accountable for was paying apportionments, we’re now (finally!) being held accountable for leading people to Christ. The commonality between these two is that neither is something we can do on our own. Oh, I can tithe and contribute to paying apportionments. I can lead people to Christ on my own. But the challenge is for us to do it as a church. It’s something we do together.

We need a move of God. That’s the only way I see it happening.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in church growth, Leadership, Local church, Prayer. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to 34 People

1. GaryT says:

And you think that needing a “move of God” is a problem? Certainly not for Him, perhaps for you.

2. Art says:

Nice. That is a worthy goal. (and an inspiring post)

3. rheyduck says:

Needing a move of God is not a problem. It’s just that our church may be too used to getting by in our own power and resources. We’re 150 years old – we think we know how to do it. Or if we don’t know how to do it, if it’s not something we can do on our own, then there’s no point in trying. I’m trying to lead the church to a place where we actually need to trust God.

4. Kurt says:

How did you come up with that number? Percentage of average attendance or role, or some other method?

5. rheyduck says:

I explain how I came up with the number here – http://sequimur.com/banditsnomore/?p=530

It’s from being challenged by another church.

6. joan says:

we are the means for God to work on this earth.
    I agree with Jesus when he said, “THY KINGDOM
    COME…’

7. John Wesley says:

Dear and Gentle Reader,

Pardon my intrusion, but I would most like to invite you to visit my humbly journal, as I start my tenure upon this continent. I have been elucidated by your musings and wish to make your most courteous acquaintance whist in the Americas.

In my most humble and flawed opinion, it is of utmost importance that Christian brethern be held accountable in love. I suggest a small group or class of people as most effectacious.

I encourage you to contine to preach the faith of Christ! I would also as that you hold me accountable. So prithee hense to my journal and let us hold each other accountable in our mutual love of Christ.

I remain God’s most humble servant,

John Wesley